Holy moly – I missed my blogoversary! By, like, weeks! I’ve been a negligent blogger but I intend to right my ways. As I enter into my second year of blogging, my goal is to blog at least weekly. But I need you. I need you to hold me accountable. I need you to get on my case if a week has passed blog-less. Send me nasty emails. Post obnoxious comments on previous posts. Whatever it takes. Can you do that for me? Okay thanks.
I have one caveat: on weeks that I am traveling, I am given a free pass. But other than that, totally get on my case if I get lazy. And by lazy I mean “exhausted and overwhelmed by life,” but whatever. No excuses!
Since I’ve been so neglectful of this blog, I figure I’d spend this Labor Day recapping my summer. Last summer I was glad to see summer go. And this summer? Well, I’m glad to see summer go again. I just hate being hot and sweaty. It’s that simple. Last summer I was hot and sweaty and cooking a baby in my belly. This summer I was (am still…) hot and sweaty, but instead of having the baby inside making me even hotter and sweatier, I have the baby constantly attached to my front making me hotter and sweatier. It’s just not my thing. Despite the nasty heat, it was still an exciting time, especially as we got to explore our new country. So here’s the recap:
1) Memorial Day: We had just moved into our house and were preparing for Damon to deploy. So yeah. I was overwhelmed and stressed and thus summer’s kick-off is a bit hazy to me now. I think there was a pot luck.
3) My mom visited: During my mom’s visit we A) spent over 2 hours driving around Japan trying to find some garden. B) visited Tokyo and ate the most expensive asparagus in the world. C) traveled to Kyoto and saw a lot of shrines. D) pretended to put my newly moved into house in order, but really just played with the baby.
5) Elisabeth and I met Damon in Hong Kong: I had no ideas what to expect from this trip, but it was awesome! We ate yummy food, saw the sights, did some shopping, got a little rest and relaxation. What more can you ask for from a vacation? I can’t wait to go back!
6) Damon came home: During his three-week stint home, we spent a little time in Tokyo, had two baby-less date nights (!!!) and took the bullet train to Hiroshima. Hiroshima was a somber place – for obvious reasons – but I’m so glad we went. We also took a day trip to Miyajima to see the “floating” O-torii (big gate). It was gorgeous and a definite highlight of our trip.
7) I danced in two Bon Odori festivals: Bon O-whata? I know. I didn’t know what it was either. And I’m going to be mean and not tell you here. You’ll just have to keep reading my future at-least-weekly posts to find out.
8) Elisabeth crawled: My world has been turned upside-down. So has my living room.
8) Damon and I marked our two-year anniversary and Elisabeth’s 9-month birthday the same day he left for deployment again.
9) That brings us to today, Labor Day: Or as I will forever remember it: The Day Elisabeth Fell Off the Bed. Yeah, that happened. Not only am I a negligent blogger, but I’m a negligent mother! In case you’re worried, she’s totally fine. And she was totally fine around 30 seconds after the fall. AND later she threw up carrots on my white rug, so we’re basically even. But still, can we talk about mom guilt?
That about wraps up this post. I hope you all had a wonderful summer and a fantastic holiday weekend. I’ll be heading back to the states later this month and look forward to blogging from your time zone once again. In the meantime, I’d love to hear about your summer highlights, too! Or low-lights, in case you also allowed your child to fall off the bed. Yes, in fact, I definitely want to hear about that.